[Nagiosplug-help] monitor mssql service

Hollick Matthew - ICT Systems Matthew.Hollick at porthosp.nhs.uk
Wed Oct 10 14:44:14 CEST 2007

Hi there,

A lot of monitoring of MSSQL can be achieved through performance
counters, you may already have a selection of performance counters being
monitored for OS performance. You will need a nagios agent installed on
the server like ns_client, nsclient++, nc_net to collect these counters.
Beyond these counters you may wish to consider the following counters:

\System\Processor Queue Length
\System\Threads
\System\Context Switches/sec
\Memory\Pages/sec
\Paging File(_Total)\% Usage
\PhysicalDisk(_Total)\Avg. Disk Queue Length

\SQLServer:General Statistics\User Connections
\SQLServer:Locks(_Total)\Lock Waits/sec
\SQLServer:Locks(_Total)\Lock Wait Time (ms)
\SQLServer:Databases(_Total)\Log Growths
\SQLServer:Databases(_Total)\Percent Log Used
\SQLServer:Databases(_Total)\Transactions/sec
\SQLServer:Memory Manager\Memory Grants Pending
\SQLServer:Latches\Latch Waits/sec

You may well need to adjust the counters to allow for multiple MSSQL
instances and databases. Disk queue should probably be monitored on a
per device level too.

Setting sensible values for warning and critical levels can be hit and
miss. For each of the counters I set up a cron job to run a check_nt
pull of the data at 5 minute intervals into a rrd database. This gave me
nice graphical data to make a first guess on where to peg the warning
and critical levels.

Going forward you may wish to install FreeDTS and sqsh on your nagios
server. A small amount of scripting effort will reward you with a plugin
which can query tables/views and run stored procedures. Microsoft
provides extensive details on interesting views and stored procedures.

One final tip.

MSSQL services will often contain a $. In your nagios config quote the $
as follows: "$$"

eg:
for service:
    MSSQL$CUSTOMERDB
quote as follows:
    MSSQL"$$"CUSTOMERDB

Let me know how you get on, I am currently trying to find the time to
write up a more extensive HOWTO including recommended MSSQL account
creation and security settings for the account.

Matthew.