[Nagiosplug-help] check_squid

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Fri Oct 19 09:39:14 CEST 2007

Every officially distributed plugin is expected to display a help
screen showing a synopsis of its basic usage
when called with the arg -h or --help.

So does check_squid, though admittedly its output is rather
terse.

$ check_squid --help
Usage: url urluser urlpass proxy proxyport proxyuser proxypass
expectstatus
  url       -> The URL to check on the internet
(http://www.google.com)
  urluser   -> Username if the web site required authentication
(- = none)
  urlpass   -> Password if the web site required authentication
(- = none)
  proxy     -> Server that squid runs on (proxy.mydomain)
  proxyport -> TCP port that Squid listens on (3128)
  proxyuser -> Username if the web site required authentication
(- = none)
  proxypass -> Password if the web site required authentication
(- = none)
  expectstatus -> HTTP code that should be returned
                  (2 = anything that begins with 2)

I use this plugin to check a few of our Squid servers.
So this is what my command definition looks like.
(note that this plugin requires a definite argument
signature as it doesn't seem to use the getopt() parsing
function, which is rather unusual)

define command {
    command_name        check-squid
    command_line        $USER1$/check_squid $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$
$HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$ $ARG6$ $ARG7$
}

On of my service definition for this command looks like this.

define service {
    use                         generic-service
    service_description         Squid
    servicegroups               webservices
    hostgroup_name              squid_hosts
    check_command
check-squid!http://www.nagios.org/!-!-!8080!$USER18$!$USER19$!2
    notification_interval   	  60
    contact_groups              squid_admin
}

Note that $ARG5$ and $ARG6$ contain the credentials for a user to
authenticate with the proxy.
These map to args No. 6 and 7 according to the help screen of
check_squid
and are here defined as Nagios macros $USER18$ and $USER19$
which themselves are defined in the config file resources.cfg
which should be only readable by
the OS users nagios (given your Nagios server runs under this
account) or root.