[Nagiosplug-help] Question about NSClient and setting/using the password

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Fri Apr 25 22:41:49 CEST 2008

Hi -

I've configured NSClient on a Windows server and I'm running Nagios on a
linux box.

Getting the following error:
NSClient - ERROR: Invalid password.

Pings are OK, so I know the host is reachable.

Other checks are OK too -

But something is boogered in NSClient or in check_nt   ----  I think.

Here's some detail for those who want to know that I've tried to fix
this, and those who want to know if I've read
every page on the Internet before asking questions. (I did hunt around
for NSClient-for-idiots documentation)

System characteristics:
Nagios 3.0.1
NSClient++-Win32-0.3.1.msi

The Nagios side of things:
A server file of:
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/coa-noc.cfg
It's just a copy of /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows-server.cfg

I'd modified the localhost in there to be the IP address of my server.

In 'commands.cfg'
# 'check_nt' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_nt
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 12489 -v
$ARG1$ $ARG2$ -s <mypassword>
        }

The NSClient side of things:

The lines I've configured in NSC.ini
(anything not mentioned is at defaults)

[modules]
password=<my password here>
allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1/32,192.168.0.150/32

;# USE THIS FILE
;  Use the INI file as opposed to the registry if this is 0 and the
use_reg in the registry is set to 1
;  the registry will be used instead.
use_file=1

[NSClient]
allowed_hosts=
bind_to_address=192.168.0.20

[NRPE]
;# BIND TO ADDRESS
;  Allows you to bind server to a specific local address. This has to be
a dotted ip adress not a hostname.
;  Leaving this blank will bind to all avalible IP adresses.
bind_to_address=192.168.0.20
;
;# ALLOWED HOST ADDRESSES
;  This is a comma-delimited list of IP address of hosts that are
allowed to talk to NRPE deamon.
;  If you leave this blank the global version will be used instead.
allowed_hosts=192.168.0.150
;# CHECK ALL SERVICES
;  Configure how to check services when a CheckAll is performed.
;  ...=started means services in that class *has* to be running.
;  ...=stopped means services in that class has to be stopped.
;  ...=ignored means services in this class will be ignored.
check_all_services[SERVICE_BOOT_START]=ignored
check_all_services[SERVICE_SYSTEM_START]=ignored
check_all_services[SERVICE_AUTO_START]=started
check_all_services[SERVICE_DEMAND_START]=ignored
check_all_services[SERVICE_DISABLED]=stopped

Tim Reimers
Systems Analyst II
Information Technology Services
City of Asheville