[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp not passing community string to snmpget?

Lee Scott Lee.Scott at ihealthtechnologies.com
Wed Aug 13 16:50:12 CEST 2008

Okay, a quick update.  After reading up some more I found the -v option to
check_snmp.  So it appears that check_snmp is in fact generating the
correct command to snmpget but still giving an error.

./check_snmp -v -C mycommunity -H xx.xx.xx.xx -o sysUpTime.0
/usr/local/net-snmp/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m ALL -v 1 -c mycommunity
xx.xx.xx.xx:161  sysUpTime.0

SNMP problem - No data received from host
CMD: /usr/local/net-snmp/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m ALL -v 1 [authpriv]
xx.xx.xx.xx:161  sysUpTime.0

However executing the command provided by the verbose output I get valid
output.
$ /usr/local/net-snmp/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m ALL -v 1 -c mycommunity
xx.xx.xx.xx:161  sysUpTime.0
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (249203581) 28 days,
20:13:55.81

             Lee Scott
             <Lee.Scott at ihealt
             htechnologies.com                                          To
             >                         nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.n
             Sent by:                  et
             nagiosplug-help-b                                          cc
             ounces at lists.sour
             ceforge.net                                           Subject
                                       [Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp not
                                       passing community string to
             08/13/2008 10:32          snmpget?
             AM

Okay, i'm trying to get snmp monitoring via nagios working.  Nagios 3.0.3.
Plugins 1.4.12. Net-SNMP 5.4.1.2.

I've installed the net-snmp packages and compiled the plugins accordingly.
I can run the snmpwalk agaist the host and get data back.  I can run the
snmpget command manually get get data back.

The issue is that it appears to me that the nagios "check_snmp" pluggin is
not passing the community string the snmpget command and indicated by the
output below.  It also appears that the "[authpriv]" should not be included
in the call to snmpget as that produces an error.

./check_snmp -H xx.xx.xx.xx -o sysUpTime.0 -C mycommunity
SNMP problem - No data received from host
CMD: /usr/local/net-snmp/bin/snmpget -t 1 -r 5 -m ALL -v 1 [authpriv]
xx.xx.xx.xx:161  sysUpTime.0

The CMD above should be:
CMD: /usr/local/net-snmp/bin/snmpget -c mycommunity -t 1 -r 5 -m ALL -v 1
[authpriv] xx.xx.xx.xx:161  sysUpTime.0

but that gets you an error as well.
getaddrinfo: [authpriv] node name or service name not known
snmpget: Unknown host ([authpriv])

So, ultimatly the command should be:
/usr/local/net-snmp/bin/snmpget -c iht -t 1 -r 5 -m ALL -v 1
xx.xx.xx.xx:161  sysUpTime.0
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (249091149) 28 days,
19:55:11.49

So unless I'm calling check_snmp incorrectly or check_snmp is doing
something wrong to the command string this will never work.

Has anyone else seen this?  Am I missing something?