[Nagiosplug-help] Compiling pst3 on Solaris 8 (Solution?)

Stevens, Michael Michael_Stevens at affymetrix.com
Wed Aug 13 19:13:12 CEST 2008

I've been trying to compile nagios-plugins 1.4.12 under Solaris 8
without much success.  I've been getting the following message during
make:

make[2]: Entering directory
`/disk0/build/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins-root'
if gcc -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/nagios/share/locale\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I../lib -I../gl -I../intl -I../plugins
-I/usr/local/ssl/include  -I/usr/local/ssl/include -m64 -g -O2 -MT
pst3-pst3.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/pst3-pst3.Tpo" -c -o pst3-pst3.o `test -f
'pst3.c' || echo './'`pst3.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/pst3-pst3.Tpo" ".deps/pst3-pst3.Po"; else rm -f
".deps/pst3-pst3.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -L.
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -o pst3 -m64 pst3-pst3.o -lkvm -lnsl -lsocket -ldl
gcc -g -O2 -o pst3 -m64 pst3-pst3.o
-L/disk0/build/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins-root -L/usr/local/ssl/lib
-lkvm -lnsl -lsocket -ldl
rpl_strerror                        pst3-pst3.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pst3
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I can't find any external references to rpl_strerror, but there is a
Nagios reference to that in gl/string.h, and of course a gl/strerror.c
file.  If I remove the #include <string.h> from plugins-root/pst3.c,
then I get a clean compile.  Better yet, pst3 runs correctly on Solaris
8, 9, and 10.  Note too that pst3.c complies and runs cleanly without
the #include <string.h> on Solaris 10 as well.

I'm not a C programmer, so I'm not sure if this is the correct solution.
Could someone please verify this fix, and if it's appropriate include it
in the next release?

--
Mike Stevens | Senior UNIX Administrator
Affymetrix, Inc.

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual
and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. You are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission by
someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply to this
transmission and delete it from your computer.