[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE not working

Danny Anello (danello) danello at cisco.com
Wed Aug 13 19:24:02 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I need to perform characterization testing and I want to monitor two
remote hosts CPU and Memory.  I have installed Nagios on the monitoring
machine.  It is working fine.
I installed the NRPE addon and I perform the command:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 172.x.x.x
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 172.x.x.x
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server logs
for error messages.

Remote host:
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 172.x.x.x
NRPE v2.12

netstat -at | grep nrpe
tcp        0      0 *:nrpe                      *:*
LISTEN

I verified that both boxes are running:

OpenSSL> version
OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003