[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp problems

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Aug 26 21:07:08 CEST 2008

On Aug 26, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Israel Brewster <israel at frontierflying.com> said:
>> So basically, at 5 pings, check_icmp is now usable on the devices
>> where before I only got two pings back. For an arbitrary larger
>> number
>> of pings, I consistently loose one, or in some cases, two packets,
>> but
>> no more.
>
> Strange.  I'm pinging Linksys RV042 firewalls, and a quick manual test
> runs up to 20 pings with no problems (with check_icmp with my patch).

Actually, I don't find that strange at all. From what I've heard, the
RV042 is a completely different beast from the RV082, in spite of
their surface similarities. Even with the RV082, I only have the issue
with newer firmware revisions (1.3.2 and older work fine). So the fact
that the 042 firmware works while the 082 firmware doesn't really
doesn't surprise me all that much. If it would help, I could give you
guys the IP of one of these misbehaving devices, as long as you
promise not to do anything nasty :) They are accessible from the
outside, so you should be able to see the behavior I'm describing.
Might be an interesting test too, see if perhaps my network has
something to do with it, although I don't think so. Just a thought.
Thanks again!

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.