[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp problems

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 27 10:32:35 CEST 2008

Israel Brewster wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time, Israel Brewster <israel at frontierflying.com> said:
>>> So basically, at 5 pings, check_icmp is now usable on the devices
>>> where before I only got two pings back. For an arbitrary larger
>>> number
>>> of pings, I consistently loose one, or in some cases, two packets,
>>> but
>>> no more.
>> Strange.  I'm pinging Linksys RV042 firewalls, and a quick manual test
>> runs up to 20 pings with no problems (with check_icmp with my patch).
>
> Actually, I don't find that strange at all. From what I've heard, the
> RV042 is a completely different beast from the RV082, in spite of
> their surface similarities. Even with the RV082, I only have the issue
> with newer firmware revisions (1.3.2 and older work fine). So the fact
> that the 042 firmware works while the 082 firmware doesn't really
> doesn't surprise me all that much. If it would help, I could give you
> guys the IP of one of these misbehaving devices, as long as you
> promise not to do anything nasty :) They are accessible from the
> outside, so you should be able to see the behavior I'm describing.
> Might be an interesting test too, see if perhaps my network has
> something to do with it, although I don't think so. Just a thought.
> Thanks again!

Glad to hear things are working better for you. If you send me the
outside IP-address of the device you're having problems with, I'd
be happy to check if I can find some way to make check_icmp play a
little nicer with it. It could be that flipping how the SEQ_BITS
are used makes all the difference, if the device for some reason
does some masking of the icmp_seq field. I can't for the life of me
imagine why it'd do that, but it seems all bets are off when it
comes to this particular type of linksys device with a post-1.3.2
firmware.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se