[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE returns correct data, while Nagios shows "No Output"

Erik Cummings ecummings at PathworksSoftware.com
Wed Jan 16 18:26:55 CET 2008

James,

                It doesn't sound the same - but the last time I ran into
this it was because the SUDO session for all users required TTY.  The
NRPE session doesn't have a TTY.  But for us this caused the REMOTE NRPE
call to fail.  It sounds like you are able to do the remote call
properly...so probably not the same thing.

Erik

From: nagiosplug-help-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagiosplug-help-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
James Bewley
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:44 AM
To: nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagiosplug-help] NRPE returns correct data,while Nagios shows
"No Output"

Hi all,

I've written some custom plugins that monitor some software around a
cluster.  I can run them on the individual cluster nodes with "sudo -u
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/plugin.pl" and i get a single line printed to
stdout and the correct return value.

All looks good?

So then I run the nrpe client on the nagios server to retrieve the
values returned from the plugin like so:
"sudo -u nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H cluster_node -t
30 -c check_remote_plugin"

Which also prints the expected string and return value ( which is
something like "plugin:OK blahh text \n")
and returns the correct value ( 0 in this OK state).

So far so good?

But when I go to the nagios servers web page (status grid) I get WARNING
"(No output!)"

I've been scratching my head about this for a while now, can anyone over
a solution??

James
james at avbrief dot com