[Nagiosplug-help] check_icmp oddness

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Fri May 2 23:35:58 CEST 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Israel Brewster wrote:

>>> The minimum packet interval is determined as "if we've already seen
>>> replies to all packets we sent to this host, it's probably ready to
>>> get another one, so send it out instantly."
>> I'm wondering if it isn't this exact logic that is causing my
>> problems. Is there any way to change this? -I does not help- see
>> below.
>
> It's hard to know without knowing exactly which version you're using.
> There has been about 20 bugs filed (and fixed) in check_icmp since it
> first was released, but unfortunately the nagiosplug project version
> and the one we're releasing aren't exactly the same. None of our
> customers are having this issue, although we always recommend them to
> disable all firewall rules for packets coming from the server we put
> there (and things like this doesn't happen unless there's a rate-
> limiting
> firewall causing it).
>
>>> -I (capital i) is used to set a target_interval, which is used as
>>> the minimum value to wait between two packets going to the same
>>> target.
>> The capital i switch does in fact exist on the check_icmp plugin I
>> have, however it is described (as mentioned in another reply to
>> this thread) as MAX target interval, not min.
>
> Looking at the help; yes. Looking at the code; no. This brings us back
> to making it excessively hard to fix the problem without knowing
> exactly
> which version you're using.
>
> I'll look into this though and see if I can get my version to forcibly
> wait between sending packets without modifying the code. If that
> works,
> it *might* work for you too, otherwise I'll just send you the code for
> the one I've got.
>
> Unfortunately I just got home from one weeks vacation, so I'm swanked
> in work (more than usual, that is). Poke me again if you haven't heard
> more about this come wednesday or so.
>
> Cheers, and thanks for being persistent while at the same time concise
> and a generally nice person :)

I just get the following when I try to check the version from the
command line:

# ./check_icmp --version
./check_icmp: illegal option -- -
./check_icmp: illegal option -- e
./check_icmp: illegal option -- r
./check_icmp: illegal option -- s
check_icmp: No hosts to check
# ./check_icmp -V
#

However, this version was built from the OpenBSD 4.2 ports tree, and
the nagios plugins 1.4.11 package. From the source, I see Last
Modified: $Date: 2007-12-11 05:57:35 +0000 (Tue, 11 Dec 2007) $,
Revision: 1861
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.