[Nagiosplug-help] check_ssh/check_tcp and icmp ping

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 3 15:05:08 CET 2008

Johan Postma wrote:
> dear list
>
> I want to check the ssh connection to an external host, however I am not
> allowed/able to send icmp requests. If I use the check_ssh or check_tcp
> plugin, apparently a ping request is also sent, resulting in a nagios
> state "host down", is there a way to disable these icmp requests?

They don't send ping requests. At least not the ICMP_ECHO kind. If you're
watching the network traffic with a packet sniffer (such as Wireshark),
you could well be seeing Nagios' attempts at running the previously
configured ping check (or some such). Whatever it is, neither check_ssh
nor check_tcp have any knowledge if the ICMP protocol what so ever.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se