[Nagiosplug-help] Regarding check_disk

Nigel Prentice nigelpr at paradise.net.nz
Sat Nov 29 10:15:01 CET 2008

Regarding check_diskTo find out where Nagios plugins are failing I always begin on the host showing the problem and work back to the Nagios server:

1. The plugin must execute locally (as user nagios to confirm permissions, access to resources etc)
nagios at Solaris9 $ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p /

2. The nrpe must be configured correctly in nrpe.cfg
command[checkDisk1]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 20% -c 10% -p /

3. The check_nrpe must execute on the command line of the Nagios server (as user nagios)
nagios at Nagios-Svr $ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H Solaris9 -c checkDisk1

You need to post the actual results/configurations of these three steps for the plugin that is not working.
You may have exposed some sort of bug, but only if the failure is local i.e. step 1. above.

BTW the error message you are receiving occurs near the start of the check_disk plugin. check_disk validates the command line parameters, then (if you have specified one or more -p options) it ensures that the directories specified actually exist. If they don't then exit with critcial status and text "DISK CRITICAL: not found" with an attempt to print the partition or directory specified.
while (temp_list) {

if (! temp_list->best_match) {

die (STATE_CRITICAL, _("DISK %s: %s not found\n"), _("CRITICAL"), temp_list->name);

}

temp_list = temp_list->name_next;

}