[Nagiosplug-help] Problem with NRPE

Thomas Beinicke merlin.linux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:55:52 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 08:09:54 AL Chow (LWHKG-S) wrote:
> Dear Sir,

Hi,

>            I'm the beginner of using Nagios. I had setup the Monitoring
> Server and monitor the health of Windows PC and Server. So, when I try
> to monitor the Linux RH 5 by installation NRPE daemon & nagios-plugins.
> It is ok to install nagios-plugins, but when I installed
> "nrpe-2.8.tar.gz", I found that there is updated version
> "nrpe-2.12.tar.gz", so I just wget and install it without uninstall
> nrpe-2.8.tar.gz. The problem is when I the following command to do the
> testing, the results are:
>

> # netstat -at | grep nrpe
>
> tcp 0 0 *:nrpe *:* LISTEN                        (It is OK)

Is it really running and listening on all interfaces?
netstat -lnp | grep -i nrpe

> #/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost
>
> CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.         (It
> failure)

Make sure to enter all the "allowed_hosts=" in your nrpe config.
Try entering the real ip of the machine you want to check even though you run
check_nrpe  from the same machine.
For example if the address of the machine is 192.168.0.5 add this ip to the
allowed hosts.

Hope that helps.

Thomas

--
My Blog: http://wordpress.liao.homelinux.org

GPG Fingerprint: 96A9 5E93 669C 5809 3871 0835 DA77 DC8B 3258 20D3