[Nagiosplug-help] SQL Select Plugin

Litwin, Matthew mlitwin at stubhub.com
Tue Dec 22 03:01:40 CET 2009

Hello, I have been on the hunt for a Nagios plugin that you can supply
a SQL query (along with connect string of course) that will return a
row count and alert on the count. I know that has been done by a few
people, however in addition to reporting the count in the output I
need to report the data of the rows that are selected in perfdata. We
use row counts extensively in our environment but it our NOC needs the
selected row data in the alert. If I had my druthers there would be
option to return a specified cell of each row as a lis, but one thing
at a time.

It seems that SQL select plugins are about pattern matching, but since
that can be accomplished in the SQL itself I am concerned with row
counts. This seems so universal I am in disbelief that this is not
already out there. I see the MySQL plugin pack has this functionality,
but we run Oracle. If anyone knows of a platform agnostic or Oracle
specific plugin that accomplishes this please let me know. Nagios
Exchange has some stuff that does row counts (check_sql.pl) but it
doesn't appear to return the row contents.