[Nagiosplug-help] check_nfsmounts

Philip Marcus pmarcus at factual.com
Wed Jul 29 18:32:16 CEST 2009

Some things to check...

When I've had problems in the past with a nagios plugin working
locally but not via the check_nrpe plugin, its usually one of:
1) communication between check_nrpe plugin on Nagios server and NRPE
daemon on client (ssl enabled / only allow from a certain IP)
2) Environment variables. When you login as your user nagios you
assume the environment of that user. The NRPE daemon might not have
some ENV variable set which check_nfsmounts needs?
3) permissions (file system perms, maybe its trying to read /etc/mtab
and doesn't have access, or running a df and its not allowed. theres
the option to have check_nfsmounts do the write back test, maybe thats
failing... ? (using sudo here will cause it to fail as well depending
on your NFS mount options, specifically, no_root_squash)

As another person suggested though, turn on the NRPE debugging output
in the config, restart the service and see if you get more details
about the failing check.

Good Luck!

Philip

p.s.
(strace the process and see all the system calls its making? use
tcpdump to make sure communications are working ... ? )