[Nagiosplug-help] [check_http] loading times too long

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Tue Jun 2 12:36:44 CEST 2009

* Wilfried Wolf <Wilfried.Wolf at sandstein.de> [2009-06-02 12:01]:
> > I would guess your server does not honor the Connection:close header
> > and do a 15-second keep-alive instead. You can have check_http
> > disconnect as soon as it receives the headers with the -N (--no-body)
> > switch, however you will not be able to check anything in the body.
>
> Very interesting. Adding the -N switch actually speeds it up as you
> guessed. Anyhow I do not understand quite well, because also the manual
> request, i.e. typing
>
> > telnet <server> 80
>
> > GET <url> HTTP/1.1
> > Host: <host-name>:80
> > Connection: close
>
> on the commandline results in a rapid answer. So if it would be the
> server not honouring the header, this should result in the same 15
> seconds delay or am i wrong?

Presumably, the plugin receives the response just as quick as telnet
does, but it waits for more data because the server keeps the connection
alive instead of honouring the plugin's request to close the connection
as soon as the response is complete.

Holger