[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe plugins work fine for a while then start throwing "NRPE: unable to read output"

Kyle Smith kyles at apple.com
Thu May 21 00:56:04 CEST 2009

Hey Nagios Folks,

We're seeing some strange behavior with a few of our nrpe plugins and
am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to work on the problem.

We are running OS X 10.5.6 with NRPE 2.12 and NRPE plugins 1.4.13.

We have some plugins written in Ruby (boss loves it, I am learning
it :-)) that work fine with a freshly started nrpe daemon. Start up
nrpe on the client, force checks from the gui, see a green nagios
console, nice. But after a while in the console under "Status
Information" we start seeing "NRPE: unable to read output" rather than
our normal success messages. Bounce the nrpe on the client, force the
check through the gui, and things start working again for a while.

While seeing the errors I can still run the plugin on the client no
problem but when I try to run it from the server via command line (/
usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H IP.of.client -c command) I see
the error "NRPE: unable to read output".

Another data point - We have one system where things were working fine
but we needed to start passing params to nrpe. I recompiled after
running ./configure --enable-command-args and setting
dont_blame_nrpe=1 in the nrpe.cfg. Start up a new nrpe and it works
fine, can pass params from the server no problem...but the a check
that was working fine for weeks starts throwing "NRPE: unable to read
output" after 3 or 4 successful invocations. Arg!! I had to rollback
to the previous nrpe and check_nrpe.

I am trying to set nrpe debug on in nrpe.cfg on the client and then
bounce nrpe but i don't see any more messages in /var/log/system.log
as compared to when I run with nrpe debug turned off. It's like
turning on debug has no effect.

I am curious about 2 issues - 1) why no extra messages in the system
log file with debug enabled? and 2) Anyone seen anything like this
happening where nrpe plugins work fine for a while then start throwing
the error?

TIA

kyle