[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe plugins work fine for a while then start throwing "NRPE: unable to read output"

Philip Marcus pmarcus at factual.com
Thu May 21 03:09:56 CEST 2009

Hey Kyle,

I'm just throwing out some random ideas off the top of my head...
To test, I just enabled debug in one of my nrpe configs, restarted the
process and did see more output from the daemon.log file in my /var/log
dir. (running ubuntu)
Do you see any output from nrpe? you should see a startup and stop message.
If not, check the logging facility, and Stop/Start the nrpe daemon again.

Regarding the problem where after a while the remote check fails, thats a
difficult one to pin down. It sounds like something is timing out. Without
knowing anything about your environment or what the actual check is
doing..., but it sounds like maybe some local disk access is timing out
(I've seen this with kerberized NFS.), maybe some other local environment
setting or keyring or something is expiring. When you login (as which ever
user), you get a fresh "cert" and the command works, but the cert the
existing process is running under has timed out. Like I said, just a stab in
the dark.

Good luck,

Philip