[Nagiosplug-help] Useage of Plugins

Marco Handels Marco.Handels at ComConsult.de
Fri Nov 27 10:52:06 CET 2009

Hello,

i want to use come of the Standard Plugins e.g. check_http, check_ssl,
check_ping, check_tcp and a special check_x224 plugin for an integration
in another commercial monitoring tool (BMC Patrol) by separating the
plugins from the complete Nagios server installation. This means the
plugins should be copied on another server and the complete Nagios
installation should be deinstalled and deleted.

My idea is to setup an patrol agent on a virtual server and integrate
some Patrol Agent parameter. In the parameter a function should be start
the plugin with a list of attributes (plugin parameters) stored in
Patrol Configuration Manager.

The result of the plugin should be parsed an put into an event inside
Patrol Event Manager.

Regarding my plan I have some questions:
-	What are the plugin licenced under, GPL, GPLv2 or v3 ?
-	Can I use the plugins without a Nagios Server for my own project
or is this not GPL konform ?
-	If I can use them, what is mandatory for my development and for
the BMC Patrol Agent or BMC Software ?
-	Is the BMC licences endanger ?
-	What is forbidden (e.g. plugin usage, plugin provision, plugin
start, plugin result parsing)  ?

I hope you can help me with this critical licence issues.

confirm edd12cf27e8e52ac5e6b23b0095add7afefe3830

Kind Regards
Marco Handels

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Dipl.-Wirt.Ing. (FH)
Senior Consultant and Projectmanager
E-Mail:  mailto:marco.handels at comconsult.de
WWW:     http://www.comconsult.de
Address: ComConsult Kommunikationstechnik GmbH
         Pascalstrasse 25

         D-52076 Aachen
         Amtsgericht Aachen HRB 4816
         CEO: Mr. Martin Woyke, Mr. Stefan Rolf
Phone:   +49 / 2408 / 149 - 421
Fax:     +49 / 2408 / 149 - 149
Mobile:  +49 / 151 / 12 50 50 82
NEUTRAL - COMPETENT - EXPERIENCED

Profit from our long history and strong experiences in
Asset-/Configuration-, System- and Service-Management solutions.

Find actual information  http://www.comconsult.de