[Nagiosplug-help] return message for plugins

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Feb 3 22:07:10 CET 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:47 PM, David Lee wrote:

> Good day!
>
> After looking around Nagios's exchange and various other website, I am resorted to writing my own plugins.  I took the examples and have my shell script returning "OK - <some message here>".  "OK" was picked up and reported in Nagios web interface.  The color was green for my check.  The message however wasn't.  Am I missing some kind of flag to report "messages" in service or command.cfg?

No. Was '<some message here>' in the first line of output from your plugin?

At the barest minimum, your plugin needs to check something, exit with the correct exit code for the state and to output one line of text for display in the GUI. There are other things it might do and this doc represents the standards for a 'good' plugin (including return codes)-- http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html

Not too much... This document will help you identify what's different - http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/whatsnew.html

--
Marc