[Nagiosplug-help] check_ping service not generating alerts.

Nadeem Mushtaq nmushtaq at imunar.com
Thu Jul 8 01:33:14 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have defined a service for PING in Nagios as follows:

define service{

   use                                      generic-service

   host_name                      example.net

   service_description     PING

   check_command          check_ping!1600.0,40%!3000.0,60%

}

Problem is when I down the host it sends alerts for all other services but
none for "PING service". PING alert is sent out for Host after specified
max_check_attempts. I want to be notified for the PING service (defined
above) as well. I noticed that service state changes to Hard to Soft and
then immediately to Hard bypassing the max_check_attemps and does not
generate any alert. Am I missing something or is it a bug?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Nadeem Mushtaq.