[Nagiosplug-help] check_http command

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Jul 19 09:00:51 CEST 2011

Regarding your question re: check_http flapping ..

What does the check return when it succeeds?
What does the check return when it doesn't?

In particular, do you observe long response times?

To set the service check timeout for Nagios, edit nagios.cfg and
change the service_check_timeout directive (and then restart or reload
the nagios daemon).  See:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagioscore/3/en/configmain.html

I would normally want to be alerted if an application is performing
badly as well as if it's completely down, so personally I would leave
the timeout at 10 seconds or so.  If an application were taking more
than 10 seconds to respond to a login I would be looking to fix the
application, not the monitoring!

Cheers,

Jim