[Nagiosplug-help] Problems when check scheduled by nagios

Don McEwen dmcewen_va at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 20:38:33 CEST 2011

Hi - Hoping someone will have some insight or run into this before. I have
nagios server loaded on a Solaris server and am having problems with a check on
Redhat Linux server. I wrote a simple perl script to check ace server check_ace.
It works on the local machine and with check_nrpe on the local machine. On my
nagios server, I can run it fine by hand with

    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check__nrpe -H remote_host -c check_ace -t 60
Returns
    OK: Found 8 processes running

But when I setup to have nagios run it I get warning - nagios.log shows
    SERVICE ALERT: server_name;Check ACE Services; WARNING; SOFT 1; (null)
    SERVICE ALERT: server_name;Check ACE Services; WARNING; SOFT 2; (null)
    SERVICE ALERT: server_name;Check ACE Services; WARNING; SOFT 3; (null)

So it appears that there is no reply from the remote server or the reply is
null? I found that with the normal timeout of 10 sec it didn't complete in time
so I checked/changed nrpe.cfg on my server to:
    command_timeout=60
    connection_timeout=300
and nagios.cfg
    service_check_timeout=60
    host_check_timeout=30
    event_handler_timeout=30
    notification_timeout=30
    ocsp_timeout=5
    perfdata_timeout=5

So, do I need to change all the nagios.cfg timeout's to 60? How can I find more
info than the log is showing now or can anyone shed light on the log data?

Thanks in advance
- Don