[Nagiosplug-help] check_ldap tls negotiation failed but only inside Nagios

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 08:33:37 CEST 2011

I'm running Nagios and trying to get the check_ldap plug-in working
with a TLS-only directory server. I'm running Nagios as user nagios so
that all plug-in commands run as nagios:nagios.

I can run the check_ldap command with everything as root and user
nagios from the command line and everything works properly,
certificate and all. But, when it runs from Nagios itself, there is a
TLS negotiation failure. I think the tls/ssl stuff works as I'm using
check_imap with an SSL port 993 and it also works.

Here's the effective string I'm trying to execute:

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ldap -H ldap0.4test.net -p 389 -b
dc=4test,dc=net -D cn=admin,dc=4test,dc=net -P secret -w 5 -c 10 -t 10
-3 -T -v

command line: works great
inside Nagios: Could not bind to LDAP server

I've also tried:

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ldap -H ldap0.4test.net -p 636 -b
dc=4test,dc=net -D
cn=admin,dc=4test,dc=net -P secret -w 5 -c 10 -t 10 -S -v

command line: works great
inside Nagios: Could not init startTLS at port 389!

Do the plug-ins inside the program run in some unusual way that would
cause this strange behavior?

Steve