[Nagiosplug-help] Checking for a process

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Thu Jan 30 22:34:31 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 08:33, Voon, Ton wrote:
> Now that I've seen it, I think the concept of range is very useful.
>
> I'm not sure about the max:min idea though. For instance, someone has
> requested that ranges include negative numbers for snmp checks and here max
> will be smaller than min, but is it reversed?
>
> What about as a flag, say -r, which means that the ranges are reversed so
> that the warning is raised if inside the range. The last paragraph can
> explain ranges and the -r option is for someone to search for. I believe
> this will make it clearer. A 1.4 change?

It still works for negative numbers. The range -20:-10 means accept
between -10 and -20 inclusive. -10:-20 means reject between -10 and -20.

The only reason negative don't work in check_snmp is I could not find
ant OIDs that had negative output, so I excluded that input during input
validation. Of course, it just doesn't make sense for check_procs.

While the -r idea is slightly less arcane, it is also less flexible -
the current approach allows you to invert warning but leave critcals
normal. So I can't say I'm instantly in love with the idea. But we can
keep it on the table for 1.4

--
Karl