[Nagiosplug-help] SNMP questions

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Mar 4 07:26:13 CET 2003

On 3 Mar 2003, David C. Kovar wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I seem to be struggling to successfully monitor various systems using
> the snmp plugins.
>
> First, a question - It seems to me that there is a lower performance
> penalty if I use SNMP as opposed to the various other ways of running
> nagios plugins remotely. In particular, firing up a ssh connection each
> time I want to check my disk space seems excessively "painful". Is this
> correct?
>
> Secondly, does anyone have a services.cfg file that provides examples
> for using the various snmp checks? I keep tinkering with mine and
> getting invalid results or errors. One good example should help a lot,
> and several good examples would be even better.
>
> I found the command.cfg file in the plugins package, and the conversion
> tool, but no examples of calling the plugins. Did I miss something?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> -David

NRPE has a lot less overhead than ssh for active checks.  The lowest
overhead seems to be in using passive checks.

The command.cfg file in the plugins package has examples of calling the
plugins and examples on checking system resources using check_snmp.

All the plugins also provide help if you run it as "./plugin -h" on the
commandline.

--
-sg