[Nagiosplug-help] Re: check_swap

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat May 21 01:23:16 CEST 2005

Horvath Tamas wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> I just would like write about this issue, but Steve Nuffer was faster than
> me:)
>
> I think it is also confusing that check_disk $OUTPUT$ contains FREE SPACE,
> but $PERFDATA$ contains USED SPACE!! However with PerfParse this plugin can
> result a good graph.

$PERFDATA$ isn't intended for human eyes.

> I think the similar plugins(in this case check_disk and check_swap) should
> have the same behavior.

A good idea.

> TO DEVELOPERS: May I suggest to change check_swap behavior?

Some people will want the old check_swap behaviour back and complain
about how check_disk should have been changed. Some careful thought
wouldn't be a bad idea.

> To Steve:
>
> I drop check_swap and use /proc/meminfo with grep and awk. I can get the
> required data and put it in PP. Now my grap does not look funny. If you
> want, I can send you my scripts.

On linux, you should use the sysinfo(2) syscall for memory and swap
checking. man 2 sysinfo for details. Most OS's have a similar syscall
for this, although some share semantics. It should be fairly simple to
make portable though.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer