[Nagiosplug-help] check_by_ssh trouble

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at Kognitio.com
Sat May 27 16:20:22 CEST 2006

If its a typo then apologies but...

I notice that you've given the command_name as check_ssh instead of
check_by_ssh - be careful as there is a check_ssh plugin and this might be
the cause of your problem.

regards,
deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: John Huck [mailto:John.Huck at lpcorp.com]
Sent: 24 May 2006 00:44
To: nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagiosplug-help] check_by_ssh trouble

I'm trying to get check_by_ssh to work with my nagios configuration.  I've
got the keys set up correctly, and I can issue the check_by_ssh command from
the command line and it works.  However, when nagios runs the command it
ALWAYS returns an OK status; even when I force it to be a WARNING or
CRITICAL.  It doesn't appear that the command is ever being ran on the
remote system.  As a test I set up this command:

define command {

            command_name check_ssh

            command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C "echo
TEST > /tmp/nagios.test"

}

Then I set it up in a regular service definition.  Its status will come back
OK within Nagios, but the /tmp/nagios.test file is never created, so I'm
sure the command is not being ran on the remote system.

Again, it works fine from the command line.  I've tried various options on
the check_by_ssh command (-l nagios, -f, etc.) and I'm not getting anywhere.
Any ideas?

Thanks

John

are addressed. Any unauthorised distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited.

Whilst Kognitio Limited takes steps to prevent the transmission of
viruses via e-mail, we can not guarantee that any email or
attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly
advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.

Kognitio grants no warranties regarding performance,
use or quality of any e-mail or attachment and undertakes no
liability for loss or damage, howsoever caused.