[Nagiosplug-help] multiple hosts

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Wed Dec 5 09:47:18 CET 2007

Hi John,

I guess the usual way is to place a so called Distributed Nagios
Server in the firewalled LAN segment
that can reach all services to be actively monitored of all hosts
in this LAN segment.

You need to install said distributed Nagios server as you did
with your central Nagios server
except that you need to configure it to obsess over services
which it checks of the fwalled hosts
to you central Nagios server.
The means of transport is usually via send_nsca from the NSCA
package.
On your central Nagios server you need to install the nsca deamon
and configure it to accept the check results
from your distributed Nagios server.
Note, that you may have to compile NSCA separately for both your
Nagios servers if their platforms deviate.
Finally, on your central Nagios server you define the obsessed
over service checks as passive checks
for which you configure notifications or event handling etc.
The necessary procedures are much better and correctly described
here:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/distributed.html