[Nagiosplug-help] IIS Load and throughput

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:55:39 CEST 2007

"The problem with them is that they cannot get
the average value for a real period of time. Also NC_Net doesn't handle
counters that go away momentarily (i.e. restarted
service).<http://sourceforge.net/projects/nc-net>
"

Did you test NC_Net v 4.1a for the counters going away issue? I re-coded the
Counter check such that it should be fixed, unless the counter is away at
the moment of testing, but you should be able to recheck it for a good
value. (please let me know about this)

I agree sbout the problem in recovering  the Rate of time values, and have a
few notes about it,
does the accuracy of the value really mattrer. when it is sampled you get a
snapshot of the value at that moment, and with  lots of instintanious
samples put into a RRD isnt that close enough to give a good overview of the
load?

I would think many monitoring apps do not take into account that these rates
need to be prefetched in order to determin a rate/time for X min.  It is all
a compromize of resources and since the Users are removed from the details
of the implementation they naturally assume it is what the  labele implies.
to put it simple, a brief 1/2 sec check every 5 min of a Time/rate value is
NOT a 5 min average and in some cases it may not be a good representation of
the average.

I think in some cases this does matter, thats why nc_net implements CPULOAD
in the way you described, it keeps an internal RRD of the CPU (_TOTAL)  with
the time between samples configurable in the config,roughly 12 times a min.
then when CPU load is requested it calculates the average.

I have also thought of a similar Proxie for windows that basically does what
you describe, although i have not had funding to beging working on it.  one
of the issues is that most people assume if you can retrieve the counter or
the value from WMI then its OK, and they forget that microsoft somtimes is a
bit misleading.

Tony (author of NC_NEt)