[Nagiosplug-help] IIS Load and throughput

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Fri Oct 5 04:23:20 CEST 2007

On 04/10/07 08:13 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Hi list
>>
>> Looking for a plugin to check on the load and traffic throughput of an IIS server.
>>
>> Our current monitor - Sitescope - monitors the following plus total load:-
>>
>> Bytes Sent/sec
>> Bytes Received/sec
>> Bytes Total/sec
>> Current Anonymous Users
>> Maximum Connections
>> Get Requests/sec
>> Post Requests/sec
>> Bytes Sent/sec
>> Bytes Received/sec
>> Bytes Total/sec
>> Current Anonymous Users
>> Current Connections
>> Maximum Connections
>> Get Requests/sec
>> Post Requests/sec
>>
>> Is there anything for nagios that can get the same info, ideally using snmp.
>>

> If sitescope gets this using SNMP, then nagios can too. It won't work if it's
> obtained by some sitescope-specific SNMP daemon that you remove when removing
> sitescope.
>
> Otherwise this data should be obtainable as performance counters, so nsclient++
> or some similar agent software will be able to report it to Nagios through use
> of the check_nt plugin.

Effectively, nsclient, NC_Net and nsclient++ can all do that (I
personally use NC_Net). The problem with them is that they cannot get
the average value for a real period of time. Also NC_Net doesn't handle
counters that go away momentarily (i.e. restarted service).

One of my project is to write a windows daemon that does that. When
queried for a counter, it registers it, poll regularly after the
specified interval and cache the value. The client can then connect at
any time to request the value. Unfortunately as long as the company I
work for doesn't want that (the idea is to get the data into RRD files)
the chances I even start this project are very slim.

Also the only programming language I know enough for that is Perl, which
is not the ideal one for that platform (though it should be able to poll
remote machines in a domain, so one Perl-enabled server should be able
to monitor all servers). If anyone wants to write this in C or C# I'd be
glad to give the exact details of how the daemon and client should work
though.

Thomas