[Nagiosplug-help] nrpe endian dependant?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 3 16:20:43 CEST 2007

Christine Ross wrote:
> Hello Mr. Ericsson.

Hello. Let me just begin by asking you not to send me personal email
with questions regarding nagios, its plugins or any other opensource
projects. Your chances of getting a correct answer are minimized by
the fact that your question reaches only me, and also by the fact that
it's considered extremely rude to do so, and I get mildly annoyed when
it happens.

I'm not your personal support technician, and what questions I answer
on the mailing list is primarily for the benefit of people who search
mailing list archives to find solutions to their problem. That it also
aids the person(s) who asked the question is a positive side-effect.

>   I am having a similar problem where the Nagios host (at an off-site hosting company) is trying to monitor my Solaris server and I continue to get the same error
>
>    nrpe[403]: [ID 813741 daemon.error]   Error: Could not complete SSL handshake. 1
>
>   The nagios hosts looks like it is a Linux server and my server is a Solaris server.
>
>   # ldd check_nrpe2
>   linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00a34000)
>   libssl.so.6 => /lib/libssl.so.6 (0x0018b000)
>   libcrypto.so.6 => /lib/libcrypto.so.6 (0x00bba000)

This suggests you're running openssl with .so-version 6, which
corresponds to openssl-0.9.8.

>   And here is the ldd on the nrpe binary
>
>   arielle# ldd /usr/local/sbin/nrpe
>         libssl.so.0.9.7 =>       /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
>         libcrypto.so.0.9.7 =>    /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7

And here you're using 0.9.7, which is .so-version 4 or 5. There were some changes
somewhere along the way which made the library backwards incompatible.

Try upgrading openssl on your solaris server and rebuild nrpe against the
new library.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se